I had been meaning to post this cupcake recipe for some time; it makes the most delicious & delicate cupcakes. I love the idea of cupcakes because you can have cake without having to eat a whole piece and you can also taste more than one without feeling too guilty. I must mention that they can be extremely cute and it doesn’t need to be complicated, you can use really pretty liners, add color to the frosting or just add colorful sprinkles to them. For the frosting I used 7 minute frosting from the Better Homes & Gardens New Baking Book, the best recipe I’ve used so far. This frosting is a great substitute for meringue on rainy days. Hope you try the recipe!
1. 1 1/3 cups sifted flour
2. 3/4 cup sugar
3. 2 teaspoons baking powder
4. 1/4 teaspoon salt
5. 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
6. 2/3 cup milk
7. 1 egg
8. 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt together into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add shortening & milk, stir to blend, then beat slowly about 1 1/2 minutes with an electric mixer.
3. Add egg & vanilla & beat slowly 1 1/2 minutes.
4. Spoon batter into muffin tins lined with cupcake papers, filling each half full.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes until cakes are golden brown & springy to the touch.
6. Remove cakes from pans & cool.
7 Minute Frosting ( from Better Homes & Gardens New Baking Book)
1. 1 1/2 cups sugar
2. 2 egg whites
3. 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
4. 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. In top of double boiler combine sugar, 1/3 cup cold water, egg whites, & cream of tartar.
2. Beat with portable electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds.
3. Place over boiling water ( upper pan should not touch water).
4. Cook, beating constantly with mixer on high speed, about 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
5. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Beat 2-3 minutes more or until easy to spread.