Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Meringues "Merenguitos"

As Valentine's Day nears I've begun to think what I can bake for this day. Every year I leave it until the last minute and I end up doing brownies (which are my go to baked goods) and every year I tell myself that next time I'll do it with more time! Finally I've begun to really give it thought... I baked meringue or what we call in Puerto Rico "merenguitos", which are so delicate and delicious and not so fattening. I left half the recipe its traditional white color and added pink food coloring to the other half. I'm sharing some pictures of the process since they take a long time baking and 2 more hours in cooling! Stay posted to see the final product, they're perfect to give to your love ones on Valentine's! 

Enjoy!








Recipe:
Ingredients:

3 egg whites at room temp
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup superfine sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degres F. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and set aside.

In a stand mixer with the wisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt until frothy (about 1 min). With the machine on medium-high speed, gradually add the sugar. Add the cream of tartar and vanilla extract. Increase the speed to high and beat until the mixtures is thick and holds stiff peaks, 3-5 minutes. Drop spoonfulls onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Add pink or red food coloring to the other half and spoon in with the spatula. Bake 30 mins on one side and then rotate and bake 30 mins more. Turn off oven and let cool completely while still in the oven, about 2 hrs.


Inspired in Giada de Laurentiis Espresso Chip Meringues

No comments:

Post a Comment